Mechanic Update 08.11.2017

It has been a few days since my last update, due to other university modules that required my attention. However, I am trying to balance it all and make sure to keep developing my mechanic for the January deadline.

Today I had a major breakthrough and fixed a large number of issues with my project. Previously, I was using a Unity hinge joint in order to connect the tractor to the trailer, which is what led to the unexpected and buggy behaviour. After thinking through the problem more logically I decided I was trying to make it too difficult.

So instead, I scrapped the old version and recreated it, but using physical 3D game objects as a colliding tow bar that is hooked in. This has completely removed all the buggy behaviour and allows the vehicle to behave in a more realistic and easy to controll manner. I recorded a short clip which I attached to this tweet.

 

NewConnection
First Version of my new tractor-trailer connection

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s